Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin single from '69....



A few weeks ago I was browsing my friend Robbie's (the other Cowboy From Sweden) 7" collection and came across this one. I'm sure you all already know it, but I got excited about it and wanted to rip it since it was an original. Keep in mind, it is an original from 1969, so the sound is a bit dirty, but perhaps not as dirty as the music (ha ha)... Anyway, I am huge fan of both of these tracks, Jane B being one of my all time favorites. Both tracks were originally featured on the "Jane Birkin Serge Gainsbourg" LP that was released in 1969 by Fontana. This album is probably the holy grail of sleazy pop chanson, filled with innuendo and blatant sexually charged tracks (69 Erotic Year, Les Sucettes). I think probably enough has been said about "Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus" already, so I don't really want to throw in my two cents, but I will say that it is a masterpiece of liturgical erotica (if that genre exists). I will say a little about "Jane B" however. The melody of the song is based on Frédéric Chopin's Prelude No. 4 in E Minor (one of the "five easy pieces" featured in the 1970 Jack Nicholson film). The other thing about the song that blows my mind is the lyrics which happen to be very cryptic and strangely conceptual for such a pretty tune. The lyrics read as a police report of a missing girl (probably murdered).

They read:

"Reporting
Blue eyes brown hair
Jane B
English, sex: Female
Age: between twenty and twenty-one
Learning drawing
Residing with his parents
Blue eyes brown hair
Jane B. Pale complexion, aquiline nose
Missing this morning
At Four Forty
Blue eyes brown hair
Jane B.
You sleep by the roadside
Blood flower by hand"

Anyway, so now I'm done with my little history lesson, here's the link. Ripped at 320 Kbps with scans included. As always, comments make this more fun...

Tracks:
A: Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus
B: Jane B

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?m9xnyuxyqi27198

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great blog< thank you> that file was taken down pretty quick!

989 said...

One of my favorites

yourblindspot said...

Oh, sad that I missed this! Mediafire link went down quickly.

Great blog!